Monday, January 17, 2011

Monday, wash day....

Did anybody ever stick to that old song? Monday, wash day; Tuesday, ironing day....I forget what was supposed to happen on Wednesday and the rest of the days.   When I used to iron Theodore's shirts, I didn't have a particular ironing day that I remember. I was not a bad little ironer. It was one of the few household tasks that I did fairly well. I enjoyed the method, and the sequence. If you want to iron a shirt, first you fold it so you can iron the yoke.  When this looks good, take on one sleeve and then the other. Then the back. Then the two fronts, and lastly you do the cuffs and the collar. Some people used to fold them and put them away, but I always hung them in the closet.
I loved to iron linen. Cotton was good, but ironing linen was a real art that my mama taught me. If you want to iron linen, you must catch it before it dries completely. Sprinkling won't do, with linen. When you have your damp article before you on the board, attack it fast with a hot iron. It's miraculous how it smooths out and becomes beautiful. Do not iron folds into linen; it breaks the particular kind of cellulose that linen is made of. Just fold it and press it with ye hand. If you have six napkins, you can tie them into a stack with a pink or blue ribbon before you lay them away. 
The modern custom of wearing unironed linen is an anathema, but I must admit to doing it myself sometimes. I had the best dress, a loose rectangle of thickly woven white linen with black designs stamped on it. It looked acceptable (to whom? my mother would have said) unironed, but better ironed.
I did not iron sheets much, but am here to state that there is no greater pleasure than sliding into freshly ironed sheets, the night of ironing day.  After I finish this writing  today, I am stripping down the bed and throwing the sheets into the washer, and then the dryer, and then I'll either fold them away or put them back onto the bed. I won't be ironing them, but they will still feel wonderful.
Just woofed down a McBiscuit brought to me by Theodore. Oh dear. Last night for supper we had a cooky sheet full of nachos made by laying out a million corn chips, topping them with a small slice of cheese each, topping again with Herdez Salsa Casera, and last with a crown of pickled jalapeno slice. They are better and probably more nutritious  made with quartered corn tortillas that you've toasted by themselves in the oven using a spray of oil...then topped as above...but--there is no space in the kitchen to cut them up...till tomorrow when the situation may be better, may be not. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment