Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturday morning

Saturday morning, and the word is CASE.
When  I went to school at Ellis Private School in Laredo TX oh so long ago, I learned that CASE is one of the==whats? Well, I'll rephrase. Nouns have CASE.
There is the Possessive Case.. "Linda's blog."
There is the Nominative Case. When the noun is doing the action.  " Linda writes."
There is the Objective Case.  Now Mrs. Ellis simplified the rules for her fourth graders. The noun in the objective case is the receiver of the action. "Mrs. Ellis taught Linda." (Also, which is really the dative, I believe, "Mrs. Ellis gave the papers to Linda." That is the noun following a preposition.)

 However, in the fourth grade, she made it easy. If a noun were the receiver of an action, whether or not it was in a prepositional clause, that noun was in the OBJECTIVE CASE.

It only gets interesting when we substitute pronouns for the nouns. After all, that 's what pronouns are for.

Possessive Case. "My blog." (or our, his, hers and any number of others).
Nominative case.  "I write."
Objective case.    "Ideas come to me."  Oh, the objective case looks different now.

Here is the point of the lesson:  All these things have to be in agreement. If mother gives flowers to Sally, fine. But she also gave them to ME. So, "Mother gives flowers to Sally and ME."  I cannot   write the I- word in this context even as a bad example.

"I sent a message to she and her husband," someone wrote to me recently. OUCH. NO! BAD!  You wrote the message for HER. What you do not realize is that "husband" is also in the objective case in that sentence, because objective-case nouns don't change in English. Too bad.   There just has been too little teaching of grammar rules  . Common sense, out there, fellow seekers.

This brings me to a problem I am experiencing with my blog. A few people have told me that they would like to post comments but cannot. I'd welcome your comments, my readers. But, alas, I am a nitwit  when it comes to word processing or whatever I am doing, and do not know how to make this blog admit commenters.

There will be no mention of cooking today because the kitchen is still DOWN and I tried to make breakfast in the oven. Not too delicious. Now we have brought the kitchen still more down,and the toaster is removed as well as any other small appliance, so I guess we will be eating out. I have had NO coffee yet.

If I had room I would describe the wonders of  a  recent evening's sunset. Perhaps I should say, If I had words. A number of people were there, struck dumb with beautysuch as  I have never seen before. I've never been with a group so united in spirit before, as I was  with these strangers of varied races and languages, all moved beyond speech. Until tomorrow, YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment