Thursday, January 6, 2011

Epiphany

Oh, dear. I had started a nice little exposition on the subject of Epiphany. Alas, I had a mini-epiphany as I wrote. My husband, flipping switches on the outside board in order to turn off the light over the stove top,revealed to us that the stove top light and the computer are on the sames switch--- and away went my blog, not to return. In that incarnation.

An epiphany celebrates a reality. The reality is that, if my blog is interrupted electrically, it will disappear not to return.

Rats! So now we know what an Epiphany is. Its original meaning was, an appearance. So, an appearance of whatever unexpected kind, that presents us with a reality. We are to contemplate it and reflect upon it.

The Magi were little considered in my Sunday School childhood, as far as I can remember. Joseph, Mary, the Baby Jesus, lambs, goats, burros, were all American (some might have been half-or-all-Mexican) but the Magi were foreign. Really foreign. And they were rich. They traveled, following a star. Little was made of their erudition, which must have been great. They had no Google maps, wikipedias, or web pages to help them make their conclusions. But nobody ever remarked on their educations...simply that they came, mysteriously, bearing gifts that nobody could precisely define.  Gold, yes, that we all knew. I envisioned gold coins. But frankincense and myrrh remained a mystery to me for many years.  And I feel sure they were a mystery to my Sunday School teachers and even to my own family, truth be told.

I cannot conclude with a recipe, but with this caution: beware a lapse in this Blog, as more electric failures ensue in the days to come as Taterton (my husband) works to remodel the kitchen. Oh dear. And this is not a recipe, but it is a prescription:  Eat three prunes before you go to bed tonight. You will not be sorry.  Dr. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment