Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Go out and look for charms!!!

Good morning!
I woke up full of cares and vague inquietudes this morning. I know the reason. I have about four or five scheduled obligations within the next two to three months.  And that situation always makes me unquiet. Not admirable, but that's my nature.

The word today is: Tomorrow's Epiphany. A big, mysterious important Day, which we don't make enough of in our culture, in my opinion. It signifies the end of Christmas, but in a way it is a foreshadowing of the beginning of Christianity, the opening up of the Christ story to the big wide world. I was going to make a cake for Twelfth Night and give a slice to various friends, but I forgot to buy (look for) the charms that have to go into it. A bean, one bean, is sometimes used and the lucky winner gets to be the King or Queen and pick an honorary consort for the party... One could write fortunes on strips of paper, roll them up, wrap in wax paper, and insert into the dough...but I prefer the vagueness of charms. Let people take them as they will.

For the cake, I would make Fannie Farmer's Grandmother's Pound Cake. The proper cake is a baba type yeast-risen cake bread, but I would want something delicious and simple with the least anxiety attached to it (for the baker.) The Mexicans make Rosca de Reyes, which is a baba type yeast-risen cake bread. It is very good. The Mexicans make a great deal of Twelfth Night, and that is the night that the children receive their Christmas presents. It seems more appropriate, somehow, that the gifts come from the three Reyes Magos (Magi), than from Santy and a store filled by elves. However, I love fairies and elves and Santa Claus too, so let the bon temps roulez, however the means.  My grandchildren live far away, so I have never been able to have them over for Twelfth Night, but how nice it would be for them--to get presents twice. Plus a slice of cake and some cocoa. And, perhaps, a portent--a charm!!!  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment