Friday, January 7, 2011

Faithfully here

Good morning...here we are. It's about breakfast time and the kitchen is kind of taken apart. Don't know what we'll do about that.

Last night we solved the taken-apart kitchen by eating a dinner from the Jack in the Box. It was kind of heavy and still sitting in our tummies when we went to sleep.
I got up this morning and made a very petite petit-dejeuner of microwaved instant coffee  and one piece of raisin toast.

 Well, the day will unfold as it goes on...we'll see what happens with the cooking. We can dispense with lunch as my husband eats mostly deli items for lunch, and I eat from the refrigerator. But we have a prepared breakfast and a prepared dinner...gracious. For how many days? I guess I can zap Campbell's soup in the microwave. Better than Jack for sure.

Instead of reading, I have been watching, and engrossed in, The Barchester Chronicles by Anthony Trollope and presented by the BBC. I sort of saw it, back when, on our black and white television---but now, ordered out on DVD---wow, how beautiful it is. And the acting is wonderful. The Bishop is a perfect sissy, and his wife, as played by Geraldine MacEwan, is really scary. And very very funny.Alan Rickman is the personification of slimy evil... I love all the characters. I am still trying to figure out where I have known all the characters in the years hence, in other characterizations. Bertie Stanhope, for example. He is somebody I know very well in another incarnation, but who? I'll get it eventually.  I have the book of The Barchester Chronicles, a little paperback with a great introduction and nice pen and ink illustrations. I have read AT it (thank you, Mother) but have never settled down to a serious reading.  Anyway, it is a wonderful series and a great purchase for BBC-philes.

Well, with the kitchen in transition, I never even made a Twelfth Night cake after all,  though when Patricia came to play piano on Wednesday she  told me where I might find charms in San Diego (art store in Hillcrest where the stationery store used to be.)  If I had had the kitchen in order, well, in its accustomed state of disorder, I would have made Lemon Bread-Cake. I got this recipe from the LA Times back in the day. Lemons, walnuts, sugar--it never fails to please. I pass on the recipe.

Lemon Bread-Cake

3/4 c. butter
2 c. sugar,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Cream them

4 eggs, beaten in one at a time

1 c. milk
grated zest of one or two lemons depending on your taste

3 c. sifted flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder..............sift and add.

3/4 cup chopped walnuts. 

The recipe says to put into greased bundt pan or 10 " tube. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes. I have never used a bundt pan or tube, but used an old aluminum ring mold which makes  a  more compact slice. BUT HERE"S THE GOOD PART:

Mix the juice of one lemon and 1/2 cup sugar. While the cake is warm, pour this over the cake (in the pan) and allow it to cool before turning out. The lemony sugar syrup will be on the top, all over in fact. Decorate or serve plain. YUMMO.

YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment