Sunday, January 9, 2011

No church!

Now, let's get this straight. I'm not a churchy person. But I am sorry to be having to miss church today.

My husband is a diabetic who must have breakfast, which he would normally make for himself while I am at church...but today he can't do so (see previous dismal pages)...so we must eat out.

We are spending a fortune on eating out poorly. It's increasingly hard to find a good cheap meal out. Somebody in this burg should be able to turn out a decent breakfast, including the cup of coffee, for $4.95.  Decent for my husband means one or two slices of  bacon, as he can't have the toast. But no--we  have to support the outrageous real estate prices around here when we eat out. The food is the least of the restauraneur's expenses, I think. Loan payments, leases, waiters' salaries, insurances,---it is tragical and awful that we can't just serve up a decent little meal, with or without badly microwaved "potatoes", for a reasonable price. If not for the diabetes, we could have toast and microwave coffee at home....or even use the camp stove, which is now set up and ready. But he (we) have found that a very limited carb intake really does work best with his very imcompetent pancreas, so, eggs and bacon it is.

We'll go to McDonald's I guess. Yes, you can get a thin plastic plate of scrambled eggs and sausage for little money there. I am going to start carrying a couple of forks in my purse for those meals consumed at institutions that provide plastic forks. The trouble is that, down here in Chula Vista, cheaper restaurants have started turning terrible. At least in the protein department, for food, and in the general quality of the establishment. Is this a universal trend in the American economic system right now?

Incidentally, I 'd like to put in a word for the McDonald's breakfast. We have found, traveling on the road, that McD's is a very reliable place to have a light meal. We have never once been victims of anybody's Revenge when eating at one. And that is a real plus when  you're traveling.

Today, not going to church, I had a longer time than usual to read the Sunday funnies. I read these comics and no more.   Doonesbury, Dilbert, La Cucaracha,
Fusco Bros, Mother Goose and Grimm, Pickles, and Mutts.  I have some difficulty reading now, and our local paper has reduced the comic strips to a ludicrous size. So sometimes I do not read Doonesbury if there are too many little words. I missed the death of Mike's mother, though I have caught the funeral. MUTTS is my favorite comic strip. It has everything I admire in a comic strip: few words, book-quality art, and gentle humor.

I spoke of food first today, and words and memories got short shrift. There is always manana (oh where oh where is that list of symbols, including the tilde?) so hasta that day, my dear readers. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment