Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Oh, I am back on!!

Well, a funny thing happened on the way to the blog. I was kicked out on my kazoo. Couldn't even open the page. Mourned all day, wrote to my kids and my daughter in law has saved the day for me. Thank you, --------!! (I forgot to ask her if I could use her name.)

WOW. What a relief. I'm back!!

Yesterday I promised to tell how Theodore got to be Taterton. We had a Scandinavian friend who always called Theodore, "Thader."  I don't know if that's really the word for Theodore in Swedish, or if it was merely his fancy, but I really liked it. The kids liked it too, but, in the way of my language-manipulating family, they called their father, "Tater."

He didn't mind, and I kind of  liked it.  It has a homey sound. 
When Theodore left Mission Hills and bought a small house in Chula Vista, our middle son, Gregory, dubbed it, "Taterton Manor."

It happens to be the very house where we live now. Taterton and I live in Taterton Manor. And that is all there is to tell about that part of the story.

Again , we got word and memory all in one. And now to food. Kitchen is still torn up, so we are still eating out a lot. But this morning I made bacon in the oven, and then scrambled eggs in the oven. Very delicious, oven-scrambled eggs. My mother had told me long ago that many restaurants in that era made oven-scrambled eggs, as did hospitals and dormitories and other places that made large quantities of scrambled eggs. I beat a little heavy cream, salt and pepper into 2 eggs, poured them into the cooky sheet, and put them into the oven. From time to time, I opened it up and stirred with a spatula of the pancake turner variety. It took quite a while, why I do not know, but in time there they were--perfect creamy scrambled eggs.

Yesterday for lunch the weather was fair and I went out onto the back patio and made us a lunch on the camp stove. Ground beef, onion, green pepper were frazzled in the skillet, and after they were done I laid a few thin slices of cheddar over the top. I had three tortillas and I laid them one by one on the (gas) flame of the campstove. I guess it's propane. They browned nicely and I gave Theodore 2 tacos and I had one. How delicious they were! I always toast tortillas by laying them on a gas flame instead of frying them. Though once in a while I "fry" them in grapeseed spray oil in a skillet or on a cooky sheet in the oven. That's all for today and glory be to God for getting back on the blog and having a daughter in law smart enough to get me there. YAZZYBEL

1 comment: