Friday, August 10, 2012

Cherry Season

Good day!

I am making George Lang's My Mother's Cherry Cake from his Hungarian Cookbook. Those who want the recipe, put those words into Google and you will come up with many references to it including Y'bel's previous blog.

I dont know how good this will be.  I cook better hungry, and I had already eaten lunch.  But--it can't be too bad.

I followed directions to the letter, but the egg whites for some reason did not fluff up...they kind of got super-thickened and that was it. Well, we'll see.

But when I got to the buttering the pan part and putting in the bread crumbs, I had a little problem: no commercial bread crumbs and no white bread around.  Then I remembered a drying white French loaf so I got that out with a grater.  When I saw those little fresh crumbs falling onto that butter, I knew I had Betty Crocker licked a mile.

I had a pound of fresh cherries, and used about a half pound.  I didn't want the top of it swamped in cherries.  I have a wonderful cherry-pitter given me by Benjamin, one of those birthday presents (by request) that will always come in handy if only once a year.  So after the dough was on top of the bread crumbs, I pitted away and laid the pieces on top of the dough.  One caution, pit the cherries away from the cake dough because those little devils will jump into the dough and sink, awaiting the gluttonous unwary.  Be careful.

The cake won't come out for about a half hour, so I can't tell you more about the results than a prediction:  It will be delicious. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment