Thursday, August 9, 2012

Go-Togethers

In my mail, a page full of recipes combining various fruits and vegetables for refreshing summer combo's.

We can't combine just everything or anything. Or can we? Everyone does, nowadays. If it isn't fused, it isn't used.

Still, "Tomato-Melon Salad" just doesn't strike right on my ear.  I am sure it's delicious. But--

Tomatoes are so dominant in their way.  They have all those little seeds, and the jellylike matrix of the seeds, which has its own particular taste...and the ripeness and the strain of the tomato makes a big difference.

ALSO.  All the melons I get now were picked green and ripened with some alien gases probably in a big anti-fungal warehouse somewhere.  They have a strange flavor and terrible texture.

I know, I need to go to the Farmer's Market. I don't, much.  Being a senior citizen.  That's my excuse.  I do need to shop for better fruit.

When I was a kid and we lived in Laredo, Texas,---you wouldn't believe the wonderful melons we used to get in summertime.  They were grown in the ideal melon growing country near El Paso, said my grandfather, who received them with gratitude and appreciation.  They were sweet, soft, fragrant, and full of the mysterious savor of canteloupe.

 Yesterday when Patricia was here, we had tower of enchiladas (the pork, tortillas, and sauce left over from the tacos I made earlier in the week, all stacked up in layers and topped with cheese) and we also had "Salad of the Season"==thank you for the name, COCO's== with thinly sliced red onions, field greens, and whatever seasonal fruit is available. Mine had sliced nectarines and raspberries with a sweetish dressing.  Very delicious.  Sliced toasted almonds would have been good too but I didnt have any.  And yes, those onions and those fruits went together perfectly, thank you.  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment