Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Back and Cookin' but supposed to be Down

Good morning!

Back to the doc yesterday, a different doc who listened to my remarks about Clindamycin and its threatening sounding side effects. He gave me another antibiotic which I am taking. He told me to stay off my foot and to soak my foot.

But I felt hungry and good when I got up at six to take my pill, so went to the kitchen and made my coffee, then made:

Katy Kornettes

1 pint boiling water
1 c. white cornmeal (non GMO of course)
1 t. sugar
salt and pepper
1/4 c. butter.

Put cornmeal into a large bowl. Pour over the water, add sugar, butter and s and p.  Let sit for 20 minutes.
Heat up the oven to 450.   Pipe kornettes out of a pastry bag into cookies the size of a silver dollar. Spread out thinner. Bake for 20 minutes. 

Katy Kornettes were served on the MKT railroad dining car in the old days. No wonder they said railroad food was so delicious. And I remember it from fifty or sixty years ago and it was.

Katy Kornettes should be brown and crispy around the edges when baked. I didn't fool with a pastry bag, used a teaspoon and smoothed them out with the same. What I did this morning was to take them out and  turn with a spatula at the 20 minute time, and put back in till more brown and crispy.  A thin little piece that got very brown was the best piece of all. They are simply delicious.

My sister no.5 was served these last Saturday at the San Antonio Country Club  at the DAR luncheon. You will have seen these cakes before as my mother's Fried Cornbread. This way there is less fat involved, and if I wanted to eat them as recommended with a little butter, I would leave the butter out of the batter as did my mother. It don't matter. They are DELICIOUS.

Make and enjoy, especially if you are poor Southern White Trash, who are hongry and know what's good. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment