Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Sound of Silence

This is the tenth anniversary of the infamous attacks upon the twin towers in New York.  I have been stunned by the enormity of the observances, as I was by the attacks themselves.  I am sure that these observances have been carried out in all sincerity and good intentions, but to me there is something wrong, or not right, about them.  I heard quite a bit of applause from the attendees at Ground Zero (or Ground Hero as we are now supposed to call it) and it was shocking to hear it.  Applause is about the last thing called for, to my thinking, when remembering a tragic happening such as the running of commercial aircraft full of passengers into tall buildings full of working people.

At some point, The Sound of Silence was sung by Paul Simon, and the commentators remarked that their programmes said that the song was supposed to be A Bridge Over Troubled Waters.  At  church today, a letter was read from the Imam of San Diego, praying for peace between our tribes.  The Forum was going to be dedicated to a discussion of the event and to the anniversary of its occurrence.  I didn't go. I opted for Silence.  I find it very confusing, the whole thing. It isn't that I don't want to think about it. I don't want to listen to others talking about it.  Between the retaliatory atrocities of the attack upon an unwitting populace in Iraq, the horrible events of the day of Sept. 11, 2001 itself, and the desperate voices pleading for revenge, reconciliation, restraint, and compromise--yes, I am confused.  Silence is my best response.

The Dean mentioned in his sermon today that John Kennedy asked the Premier of China back when Kennedy was president: What did the Premier of China think of the French Revolution?  Responded the Premier:  "Too soon to say."

My feelings exactly.  Let us weep privately, plan privately, think privately. Let us read, and let us wait. Let us be as informed at all times as we possibly can, without succumbing gullibly to the voices coming at us from all sides, advocating hatred, forgiveness, compromise. We think we know what Jesus would have counseled. But even he got mad enough at something  to beat down the moneychangers with a chain and his own hand.  We are just not sure exactly what it was. Are we?  Let us be quiet, let us be quiet, go softly, mind our business, grieve for the dead, help the living, and be quiet.  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment