Saturday, September 17, 2011

Blog, Condensed

Does nobody read this blog but me? I feel all alone out here on a limb with no reader but myself!

Too many days have gone by and I have not written the postings that I have thought about. How can this happen? I shall have to try to enumerate some of them in this condensed edition.

First, let me say once and for all that no more posts are to be dedicated only to Kitty Blanko. It's become fairly obvious that KB comes and goes at his sweet will. Lately he's been hungry and has been present for both breakfast and dinner for some days. Period. Enough about him, her or it, for a time.

A corollary to last Sunday's The Sound of Silence was to have been written on Monday. I almost wrote it on Sunday night but waited so as not write two on one day. At the rate I am going I should write however many times a day that the spirit moves me.

I was going to say, apropos of Silence, that I was most irked by a mailing asking, "Won't you feel bad when all your friends' names are on the list as contributors to the rebuilding of the Organ at St Paul's, and your name is not there?"  Ah, little do you know me, chairman of contributions to the fund.  Yes, I will and do feel bad. But the question is, will I allow those feelings to prod me into doing something that for now I have decided not to do?

When I was at Baylor, we were required to go to Chapel every morning at about ten.  Often there was a fine old Southern Baptist preacher there to exhort us for a few minutes. Make our day, so to speak. Once we had a real humdinger.  He was a Revivalist and had a wicked technique.  He was against everything. Precisely, he wanted us to promise to swear off ever drinking (had never had a drink), smoking (had never smoked) or indulging in any Sunday entertainment. And we had to stand up if we swore to this promise.  My sister no. 2 was sitting nearby.  All about us, people began to stand up.  No.2 and I stuck to our guns.  People craned their heads to stare at us.  Even though I did not smoke or drink, I refused to say that I would never indulge in Sunday entertainment, because I knew that I had no intention of honoring any such silly notion.  Sister no. 2 was of equal honesty.  While virtually the whole congregation of 500 students turned and stared down at us, we sat it out with red cheeks and angry hearts.  When I got back to the dorm, I challenged my roommates, who had all been standing sheeplike about the auditorium, and they all said, ALL! "Oh, I knew I wouldn't keep my promise, but I just stood up because everyone else was doing it."

So, be afraid of my name's not appearing on a list at church? (Tomorrow). I'll be sorry, but not afraid.  My name used to be on a plaque concocted at the last organ fund-raiser, and hung in state within the nave for years. Where it is gathering dust now, I do not know nor does anyone else, nor care.  I am sorry, but I have my reasons and one of my reasons will never be that all my friends are on a list and I am not. Never.

There was at least one other topic that I was going to squeeze into this condensed blogsworth,  but I will leave it for tomorrow when I will be afraid to write because all my friends stood up at church and I had to stay sitting down. YAZZYBEL

1 comment:

  1. yaz,
    mother used to tell a story about you and olive going on a double date with some baylor boys. it was sunday and they rejected ever suggestion you all made about what you were going to do. they did not dance,(ever) drink,(ever) go to the movies because it was sunday. according to mother, according to you, they suggested they could go neck, and you and olive allegedly said you couldn't do that on sunday. anyway, alhto i was a baby, i never believed that story.love, your sister, clong

    ReplyDelete