Sunday, September 4, 2011

Figs, Broccoli, and Makeup for Old Ladies

Good evening!

Went to church this morning. It was pleasant. The Dean is back from his vacation, but there were not too many people around as it's the Labor Day weekend.

Came home, stopping at the Home Avenue Goodwill by way of diversion.  There purchased I a silvery wood frame for the photo of no. 5 and her husband, and a large square-round water-color glass jar to hold flowers in the kitchen. It's meant to be a canister but is lacking its top and will be perfect for a kitchen flower holder.

Then to the Von's where I bought a large fresh head of broccoli and made the salad thereof when I came home. It's that broccoli-onion-raisin-bacon one that became so popular a number of years ago.  It is still one of those dishes that has a hypnotic effect on the consumer. You don't want to sit in front of the TV with the whole salad bowlful in your lap or you will just go on mindlessly eating the whole thing.

Tonight Theo and I picked a whole bunch of ripe figs and I removed four and took the rest to our neighbors the Picazos.  I thought I could count on Mexicans' loving figs, but Rick, the dad, took them in a lukewarm way as he does not like them but was pretty sure he could find someone in the family who did. Oh dear. Lukewarm about figs. Well, you either love them or you don't.

Here's how I make up my face for church at seven in the morning. And if you are 82 this is how you should make up your face every day.

Make sure your face is clean, but do not slather it with any moisterizer right before you make up or you possibly could streak up your face.  On your clean dry face, already moisturized the night before or early early before you go out, put a slight dusting of the finest face powder you can find, in the color closest to your own color that you can find. Right now I am using Borghese pressed powder and it is so much finer than, say, Estee Lauder that you'd not believe it.  Step two involves applying some color to your lips or otherwise they will be gray, lol. I have a Revlon lipstick in a clear medium pink color, not rose, not mauve, not plum, just a clear pink. Apply, blot well, comb hair, and adios.That's it. A light powdering is much kinder to octagenarian skin than any amount of covering material. My mama taught me that.  Thanks, Mama. And in the winter I will use a powder blush high on my cheeks in a clear light pinky rose if I feel gray all over.  And that's it.

One last note, of gloom alas--Kitty B. has disappeared again. Where can he be? Where does he go?  Hope he comes back; I'll keep you posted. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment