Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Midnight Visitor, Plus, More Katy Kornettes

Good morning early!

Theo will probably come out of that bedroom before I finish this, but maybe he will not. Let's try.

Last night in the middle of no-time, I was lying half awake with my eyes nearly open and looking toward the window, when I saw a Form amble by on the top of the bricks below the window.  A chill ran through my beleaguered form, as I fear mice and rats (though not morbidly, I hope.).  This one was too big to be a mouse and it was outside, and I was glad there is a screen on the window.

I got up to see what it was, but it had gone. I went back and lay down again, and there it came again. Too big to be a mouse, too small to be a possum,--what was it? My rat brain said, "Rat."  But the second time I got up he stayed on the parapet, and looked casually back at me when I peered between the venetian blind slats. He was a young possum. Not a real baby, but small for a possum. I am beginning to get leery of these critters all about us. As long as they stay outside, we are fine with each other. But that mouse is still in the bedroom.

This morning I made Katy Kornettes again. (See post of a few days ago.)  This time I mistakenly made the batter too thin. I also left out the butter. When I poured them onto the pan, they tended to run together; no spreading needed.

Well, I cooked them a long time in the hot oven, as I sat here maundering at the computer.  They seemed to have disappeared when I brought them out of the oven, but they had not. The water had just evaporated out of them and they lay as a thin thin crispy layer on the pan. Scraped out onto a plate with a spatula, and eaten in hand, they are still SCRUMPTIOUS. Would make a fine corn chip snack for your kids or you. Part of the Katy Kornettes stayed soft, as it should be, and that part is yummy eaten out of hand too.  Oh how delicious.  And no GMO's.  And no gluten.  WOW. What a bone-zana, as my baby Gregory would have said! YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment