Tuesday, September 27, 2011

This and That

Good morning.

First, I must say something I have been postponing for some time. But it is going to happen this month, I hope. I expect my computer will be shut down for some time as we move things around.

There, I committed to it!

I plan to use the Library's computer if computer is down for any protracted period of time, but who knows how that will work out. Truth to tell, I get up at six (usually) and by the time Taterton comes out of his bed it is (as it now is) nearly two hours later.  The Library does not open for nearly two hours after that (if the funding is back in place, which it may not always be.)  So, I lose a lot of time.

That's not piano practice time either!  The house is quiet and there is no TV going, but--can't wake the sleeper as he needs his sleep.  I need sleep today too as I was cold last night and was restless. A nap today is prescribed by Dr. Me.

Today is Rosh Hoshana, or rather the beginning of it. You are supposed to dip apples in honey to give to your loved ones to wish them a sweet new year. Another interesting custom I read about is to take small pieces of bread, representing your offences against your neighbor(s), in your pocket. Go out to a river or moving body of water, guess a crick would do, and throw in your little crumbs of contrition.  If we were Jewish we would get to hear the shofar, which is blown on this holiday to mark the beginning of the High Holidays. As heard on Youtube, it is a moving presentation of sound, and sounds as if it has a real significance. Intention is everything.

To end this on a completely contrary and contradictive topic, I forgot to put on my favorite bacon recipe yesterday~so here it is.

Bacon and Water Chestnut Appetizers:

slices of thin bacon cut in 2
canned water chestnut slices
chicken livers cut in 2

This is a 1970's recipe, and so good.  Wrap water chestnut and chicken liver in piece of bacon, skewer with a toothpick, place on cooky sheet. Then place in hot oven for ten minutes, or under broiler. You may want to pre-cook the bacon a bit if it is very fatty. I can't stand raw bacon.

If you're averse to chicken livers, you may substitute a pit-less prune for the chicken liver. Still delicious. Be sure to cook until the bacon frills are pretty done, as in dry and light brown. No raw bacon, please. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment