Monday, September 26, 2011

What was I going to say about bacon?

Well, I skipped yesterday but that is the way of the world, sometimes.  We get involved.

Today I got to thinking about bacon. I used to love bacon. It was quite reliable in quality, as an American food item. Easily available in the supermarket, and always delicious.

Of late years, bacon has problems. I don't know why. Are the hogs genetically modified?  Surely not. But the bacon is certainly not what it was.  There's thin bacon, and there's thick bacon. I always went for the thin, and two minutes in the  microwave on a paper towel turned out two perfectly cooked slices.  A little longer in a skillet did even better for taste.  And best of all, a cooky sheet full of slices toasted up perfectly in a 400 degree oven and was oh so easy to do.

A few years ago, the uniformity, I almost could say, perfect uniformity of the slices was a given.  Nowadays, the size, thickness and type of thick or thin fat width varies a lot  in any given package. And that is in "major brand" bacon as well as second standard.Oh well, once you have cooked it up (and that is not as easy to do as it used to be ) , it still tastes good. 

We now are offered beautiful thick peppered bacon. In Texas I saw beautiful thick green- chilied peppered bacon.  All of this is good, if it doesnt curl up when you cook it.

I used to wonder that the Brits put "tomahto" on the breakfast plate along with the sausage, bacon and eggs. Then I remembered that my own Granny never served French toast without tomatoes. And no syrup!  Could it be that the British somehow figured out that that tomato on the plate and in the tummy helped to cancel out the very high fat load one's taking in with these fat-heavy breakfasts?  Or was it instinctive?  I saw a tomato sitting at hand this morning as I made Theo's two bacons and one egg.  Should I or should I not cut it and put it on the plate? Decided he would not want it.  So I'll broil it when I make him his hamboiger patty with cheese,and serve it then.  I myself had a toasted bread stick cut in half and toasted in the toaster. It was pretty good and has lasted me until lunch (now) when I shall have leftover Spanish Slaw (vinegar dressing) along with whatever protein I decide to consume. I used to love bacon but can only have it once a week now,on Sunday. Prescribed by myself. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment