Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Thank God for Music

Good morning!

In the BBC film of Barchester Towers, (or is it the Barchester Chronicles?) the old good priest says that he loves his music because it is the only thing that helps him to make sense of this chaotic unfathomable world.  Me too.

Patricia is coming today and we are making music for a while.  Then I am making tiny turkey hamburgers on slider buns (one each) and a little warm potato salad on the side.  I am using up food that we have on hand and in the freezer.

Last night for dinner I desperately went through the freezer and grabbed a dinosaur boneless chicken breast half and put it on a pan and stuck it into the oven...after some time, it had thawed and  I added flour to the outside of it plus salt and pepper.  It baked on, and about twenty minutes before dinner I cut it in two horizontally.  I was waiting for Theo to come back from errands so went cautiously with the chicken breast...it was tender and looked wonderful.  When he turned up, I added a lot of slices of cheddar cheese on top of his, a little on mine. I boiled up a lot of red chard too.  While the cheese was melting I took a slice of that pineapple you saw yesterday in the picture with the giant artichoke...and put it on the baking tray. I had a small half of the chicken breast with a little cheese and the pineapple on the side (yummo) and Theo had the big half with a lot of melted cheese and no pineapple.  Theo was born in Oklahoma and when he grew up they knew not of the pineapple.  But he takes cholesterol medicine so can eat whatever.
For me, the dish would not have been good without the pineapple.

Just above here is a picture of a black capped night heron.  We found a lot of them snoozing in a tree down at the Marina one spring.  They are very beautiful. Not too big.  They roosted low down and with the morning sun sparkling amongst the leaves you still had to look very hard to find them but we did.

Well, great has been the debate and nagging about the wisdom of our going to Iowa this weekend and 3 weeks following.  I say not now, and he says, YES NOW.  He is running on Cipro and does  not realize that a severe bladder infection accompanied by fever and mental confusion is not to be tampered with.  I wish someone from Kaiser had said: It's not advisable that you drive across country at this time.  He would have listened to them, perhaps.  Perhaps.  If it gets worse I can refuse to go along.  But as it is, we probably shall be pulling out of ye olde Fairway Court at about eight o-clock on Saturday.  I'll keep ya posted. YAZZYBEL

1 comment:

  1. great catch on the bird photo~ your sliders sounded good. Im not sure why driving to Iowa is bad.....he'll be miserable no matter where he is!

    ReplyDelete