Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tuesday After Book Club

Good morning!

There's Taterton, standing on the steps that he built about two years ago, down to the Lower Forty. We really needed them, for as you can see the yard is deep and steep at that point.

Did I tell you that he fell in the front yard on Saturday?  Well, he did. He hit his face, literally, on a brick planter bed, so got a serious smashing of his glasses into the skin of his face in a circle around the left eye.  I have a picture of it but I think I will spare my readership.  Of course, he would not go to the ER either on Saturday or Sunday, but by yesterday I had finally nagged him into going to the small walk-in clinic that Kaiser runs down here at Otay.  That was our undoing, for once we got into calling about it we got shuffled off to a triage nurse on the phone who after some probing heard the word "Coumadin," and sent us to Kaiser Emergency at the hospital at Zion ( a street, not a place==though it is a place).  That's another story. Long drive, difficult parking, long wait, long treatment session, long long long drive home.  We left at two thirty, walked in the door at home at five thirty.  Not too bad.  And his results were good; he got lots of positive attention and a good pronouncement as to his injuries.

The main thing he was asked, several times, was: Did you trip, or just fall down?
And, did you black out?  They want to make sure he did not have a stroke.  I think he did not. He had cat scan, heart tests, blood test.... He just goes out onto the uneven ground of our territory and takes tumbles.  So do I.  The dogs don't walk well now either. In their case I attribute it to Chinese dog food.  In ours--I don't know what, as we eat two distinct diets mostly.  Ah well, he looks better yet this morning so I see nothing but steady improvement from here out. (Except that he's going out to work in the yard later today.)

After we got home, the issue of book club came up.  My friend offered to bring me home, or for someone to come down and pick me up.  This is no small issue, folks. It involves adding a half hour each way onto someone's trip home after the book club.  Theo seemed to feel so much better that we agreed that he'd take me up, and somebody would bring me home.  Very kind on both parts.

So I went to the book club and we heard an excellent presentation by Phyllis.  And then we chose a date and meeting place for the next meeting.  July 11, folks. We shall skip June because we expect to be on our Cedar Rapids trip somewhere along the way. And others will be gone too.  And the book--Anna Karenina!!!  There is a newer translation which I'll try to get as it looks interesting.  Of course we have done AK before (I think). I know I have read it and love  it though it rends my heart.

Then we had the best dessert I've ever had at the book club. Maureen had made a wonderful cold mango mousse. She served it in small cold cups with a dab of whipped cream topped with a flake of candied lemon peel.  And on the side, a madeleine she made herself.  Wow.  It was perfect.  She made the madeleines in the hope that we'd be celebrating the choice of Swann's Way for our next book, but it was not to be.  Conscienceless, we gobbled them up anyway.

And the book, Old School, by Tobias Wolff?  Well, I for one had figured out the name of the nameless hero--Tobias.  But I'm cynical.  It was a good book anyway, in its parts.  Lee brought me home and we talked and talked.  I am lucky to have such very good and nice friends. YAZZYBEL 

No comments:

Post a Comment