Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sunday, May 1st

Good morning!

It's May Day!!!  Here at St Paul's, it's also St George's Day!!

I am not attending services but am going up to church to take the numerous small sandwiches I have made for the celebration of St George this afternoon. I made cheese and butter (freezable) , peanut butter and honey (freezable), and chicken salad with mayo, green and red pepper bits, and decorations of nasturtium leaves and baby aragula  and parsley. (Not freezable so I made them this morning.) I always like to make some decorated sandwiches because they look so pretty on the table.

After church we are going to drop by Anderson's nursery where I shall look for my two choice tomato plants that I'll coddle along and hope the housesitter will coddle, hoping for some great tomatoes after we get back from Cedar Rapids in mid-June.  I have two names from the paper that I am looking for. We have the best garden section in our paper and I just love it.  The two tomatoes that catch my fancy are Mortgage Lifter and Caspian Pink.  Since they are heirlooms, Anderson's may not have them--but they may.  I love pink tomatoes above all others, and at the bottom of my list are grape tomatoes with cherry tomatoes a bit above. I like cherry tomatoes but only if already cut in two.

Yesterday, the Sons of Norway luncheon with my friend Janet and her son Will, and hundreds of other Norwegians, was just lovely. In a beautiful room, the Trellises Room at the Town and Country, set in a beautiful garden, we were served a really delicious halibut plate.  Fillet of halibut perfectly grilled set upon a trio of asparagus tips, set upon quarters of roasted red-skinned potatoes. We also got wine, and a dessert of chocolate mousse cake which I unwisely ate. It was good, though.  Folk songs of Norway and the US were sung. These are the nicest people you could ever meet, so friendly and welcoming.  A good time was had by all.

While I was wining and dining, my husband Theodore took a tumble in the front yard, falling straight to the ground and badly striking his upper face and glasses into the ground and a flower pot, and some part of his thigh on another flower pot.  He says he lay there for fifteen minutes waiting to get the strength to get up. The place where he fell is in our little secluded spot under trees and sheltered from the street and neighbors...not too wise I guess.  Anyway, he looked horrible when I got home and would not go to the ER.  Who could blame him?  I doctored him up a bit and he still looks bad today but no worse. His whole eye area is swollen up and he has a black eye kind of. Otherwise, he will survive.  Thank goodness. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment