Sunday, April 17, 2011

And On We Go

Good morning!

It's Palm Sunday!  I got a piece of palm at church this morning.  At some point in the service, we had to hold our palms up and they got asperged. Yes, a priest(ess) came down the aisle with an attendant holding a dish of holy water, and with a leafy twig of olive branch, she dipped the twig into the water and shook it at every aisle in the general direction of the worshippers therein!!  The droplets flew...in a sacred manner of course....Shades of old Rome! It was exciting.  That is what's called asperging the branches.  Bet that is a verb you did not know.  I hear it every year but it is always new.

I came home starving, as we had no Forum today and I did not get my sacred doughnut.  When I came home I cut a banana in two and cut it into nine little rounds.  I put some butter into a frying pan and put the little rounds of banana therein, in three patches. Then I mixed up:

1/2 cup flour
dash(es) of salt
1/2 T sugar
1 egg
1/2 T baking powder
some milk

When this batter was mixed, I  put out three pancakes' worth over the three banana patches, and made three delicious banana pancakes which I ate with maple syrup. YUM YUM YUM.  And Theo had saved me out a half slice of bacon as he sometimes thoughtfully does on Sundays, and that I had with the pancakes. WOW. Good.

The rest of the cathedral is at this moment  parading around the neighborhood of St Pauls, waving palms and led by a bearded young person on a donkey.  I have nothing against that scenario, but do not participate in it.  Too old I guess.

I said yesterday that I was going to write more about the seven things I have not sewn up for this past week, but as I look at them I don't think so.  Tacos, enough; oil, enough; old age, enough; rain, we need it always, enough; marriage, plenty more to say but not today; and weight gain. Weight gain: being off the fast that I was on for the sake of a just budget resolution,(ha), I gained back precisely the 3/4 lb that I lost on the fast.  That was just six things, but they are enough.

Look up above there at that beautiful photograph.  Is she not a lovely lady? She is printed on a kimono that I bought at a thrift shop. Exquisite silk satin.  I am a thrift shopper like my sister no.5, whose finds can be seen on  http://www.bennyedictus.blogspot.com/.  She is really more of a pro at it, as she sells and consigns too.  We both love the way that our homes have been enriched by these one-of-a-kind treasures, and we find it rewarding to go shopping to look for them.  It's a deeply relaxing pastime.

Have a great Sunday, everybody. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment