Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

Good morning!

I did go to church, Early Service, alone. I just didn't have the heart to wake up Ben to go with me, as I myself was zonked from being awake four hours in the night and didn't decide until the last minute to get dressed and go.  The good thing is that when I did that, I left the guys alone together to make their own breakfast and enjoy some time to themselves.

I leave the house at seven thirty to make it to eight o'clock Eucharist.  The freeway is usually lightly trafficked and untrammeled on Sunday morning and I get up there with the company of Will Shortz and Liane Hansen of PBS, plus some unlucky puzzle-doer.  The people who get drawn to do the puzzle are most often really smart folks who have no trouble. I think I'd get totally tongue-tied and blank if I had to do it, so I would never send in result to the pre-puzzle, even if I thought if I could do it. 

This morning the church was not cold, and was beautifully decorated with last night's Easter lilies all over the place. White flowers look so good with gray.  I wore black pants, black tee with sparkly silver butterfly on the front, and red silk quilted jacket given to me by sister no. 5 after it was given her by sister no. 3. I just love it.  Red and black are my winter colors, ( I still think it's winter, mind you, because it's gray out there)and I love all the reds. This one is a true lipstick red and is cheery.

There was a baptism, touching, of a nine or ten year old boy.  He hung his head over the font and was thoroughly drenched three times.  I was not present at the Catholic baptism of my grandson, but am told that he wept at his baptism as he was so touched.  I like that. I hope he will always have the feelings he had, come what may; they came from some place deeper  than human wisdom and were a gift.

I am making the Easter dinner as I write this.  The appetizer will be a frozen concoction of watermelon, canteloupe and orange juice with a little Grand Marnier thrown in. I also put sugar and lemon juice and it is freezing now. With it I shall serve pepitas (canteloupe seeds) that I have toasted myself in the skillet with a little spray olive oil, and added a bit of salt and cayenne.  That is a very Mexican appetizer.  If we were more sophisticated I would add some tequila or vodka to the blender when I give the frozen mass its final spin. But we aren't and I won't.

For the main course there will be roast pork loin with herbs, red pepper flakes, sale and pepper;  polenta;  and asparagus.

So far there is no dessert.  We try to avoid it and then we are sorry and make up for it with whatever cheap sweet we can grab.  I have some chocolate ice cream in the freezer, but I am sure everyone but me will say, Not for me, thanks.

Then it will be Sunday afternoon, and then evening and Ben will go home. He always plans his trips so that he gets into the Bay Area late at night and is worn out the next day. So we will make it an easy afternoon, playing Boggle or maybe Liverpool Rummy, and I may make mini burgers for  supper just the size of a slice of small tomato and pickle, put together just that way.  Love to all, YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment