Monday, April 18, 2011

Nice Things and Not So Nice

Good morning!

Yes, it seems to be possible to put on more than one photo to the same post.

Up there we see some of my favorite things, a tablecloth  that I bought at Ross Dress for Less (I  call it Ross Dress Por Mas), a charming plate of English origin, a bit of a goblet , a glimpse of the little plates my mother in law gave me, and a pair of salt and peppers in the form of pickle- cucumbers that I loved at a Cedar Rapids antique shop and received from my kids for Christmas.

At this point, I could launch into a tirade about the accumulation of objects, and how they pile up over time and we end up having too many.  But I won't, today. I will just point out how nice those things are up there, and how much pleasure I still receive from them.

I have decided that we are going to have to move to a condo at some point, or an apartment (though I don't like the idea of landlords telling me how to live). So I am going to be sensible and start shaving it all down to the point of condo-capacity. That is way less than I have now. I have given up hoping that my Cedar Rapids kids will come here and relieve me of lots of treasures.  So, I shall relieve them in other ways. We are too aged to start selling and carting stuff around from market to market or mall to mall.  But I am thinking.

Enough of nice things in my house. I read of a nice thing today on the web.  Safeway is one of the US's major purchasers of seafood, and they have made a promise to not buy any seafood from the Ross Sea, which surrounds Antartica and is a major ecological area for the fish and creatures there.  Good for Safeway. Sometimes the big guys do something good.

I read in the daily newspaper, however, that penguins are suffering from a shortage of krill.  The krill population is down 70%, apparently, krill being one of those tiny shrimplike animals that sustain life on its most basic level in the ocean.  The paper did not point a finger at Yazzybel, but I do take krill oil capsules.  So do lots of others.  Think of the unswallowed codfish  oil that is in Yazzybel's storeroom.  Fish are endangered too.  I should take those fish oil capsules right now whether I want them or not, and finish the krill, and not buy any more that I am not really committed to taking for my health.

I read in the paper that the Mexican police who were arrested last year on a large scale for colluding with the drug trade have been released from prison.  Does all that mean anything? I see it as game pieces being moved about at random on a large board without clear markings.  All along this border, the economy is totally dependent on the drug trade.  Don't pretend you don't know it.  Supermarkets, clothing stores, real estate bigtime....all those young women driving around with big black SUV's, sunglasses, ponytails cascading out of  billed caps...are not school teachers.  They have Money, and Money along the border is drugs.  All the rest of the "honest" economy is riding on the coattails of the drug economy.  Where are the clear markings on this game board where we live?  Not even the border is a clear marking; it scarcely exists, apparently. It is to laugh.

I am happy because  I am going to fill brown bags with videos, books and clothes. That is my goal for today.  How many bags? Five. That is a lot of stuff.  I already have three, and they are heavy.  Goodwill and DAV and Amvets will be the richer, and we will be eight bags closer to that condominium.  It's a Nice Thing.  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment