Friday, April 8, 2011

I have been fasting for a week (partial fast)

Wow...that's my daughter in law, Lesa, walking the dog Zero up there in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  Not what I expected to put on this post, but a beautiful photo of a good-looking gal, so I am glad for you to get to see it.  We'll be getting to see them in a little more than a month, as Alex and Lesa's daughter Miranda is graduating from high school and we plan to be there.  There will be a monumental automobile trip (four to five days each way) which will require some time off from this blog as we make it all happen....I am looking forward to it!!

Zero, there, is not too fond of me. (I hope Lesa is.)  Zero growls and bares her teeth at me whenever she sees me.  Two years ago when I house-sat for them, Zero slept snuggled up with me for two weeks, happy as a clam.  The moment the famiy walked in from their vacation, Zero deserted me and never looked back.  Except to bare those teeth.  How treacherous can you be?

We are beginning to make our first tentative plans about how to spend our time from May 21 to June 11.  Our house sitter, a tough Navy veteran, will be keeping an eye on our own concerns here at home.  So all we have to worry about is ourselves--and at our age, that's plenty.  Birdy and Listy the chihuahua twins, Freckles the Surviving Cat, and Pink-Nose the interloper cat who comes twice a day to scavenge food, will all be left behind with nothing to do but watch TV or lie out in the sun.  Well, that's about all they get to do now.  They seem OK with it. I just hope that the weather improves and warms up so that they can be comfy outside. The girls turn 14 this summer, I think.  That's 98 in dog years.  They have issues, and when you think of it they bear up bravely with the problems they have. They are amazing.

The weather is not likely to warm up while we are gone on our trip, thanks to May Gray and June Gloom.  Our weather during those two months gets very dark and gray, even colder than it is at this moment (which is danged chilly) and misty-moisty.  "Once in San Diego's spring, in misty-moisty weather....," chanted Mother Goose once upon a time.  Actually, she didn't know San Diego, poor old gal, but she knew misty-moisty.  Someone (probably weather-casters on the TV) coined the phrases May Gray and June Gloom (irritating, that latter one).  And they stuck, because it's true--the sun does not appear for days at a time except for some golden rays about sunset time.  All the Zonies who come over from Arizona shiver and shake on the beaches in their colorful bikinis, and wish they'd listened to Yazzybel and postponed their vacations till late July or August or September, when it's logical to leave AZ anyway.

Back up to the topic up there--Yes! It is more than a week that I've been fasting from  breakfast until dinner or four o'clock if I cannot last longer. So far I have done fine as we eat at five p.m.   It does not get any easier. The hard part is when one's out in late morning or lunchtime, and the tummy, slave to custom, smells all that good Mexican food frying out there and just screams for attention.  Well, too bad. I have found that I can do it.  I do not need to eat all day long.  I know that the healthy way is to eat a small amount at regular intervals, but I am doing this for political reasons right now and think I'll be OK. I don't think I've lost any weight so far, strange though it may seem.  But I have the old-lady metabolism and obviously don't really need most of the food I regularly consume.  Perhaps I am just making up for my calorie content by a larger supper.  I'll know today, when I weigh at my weight-loss club.  And I'll let you know tomorrow for sure. YAZZYBEL

1 comment:

  1. I have finally got to sit down and read your blog.. and who do i see? Anyhow, yes-- very 'fond' and as for Zero.... well, she is fickle. see you soon

    ReplyDelete