Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sew-it-up Saturday

Good morning!

Oh, how beautiful! I finally got some of my roses on here. Now you see how the beauty of nature can transform a dull pink pink pink tiled bathroom and make of it a place of beauty.

I am going to try to sew up a few loose ends from this week today. I will try to go in reverse order but will probably go in no order at all.

From yesterday,--I was going to talk about oil. Cooking oil. Eating oil.  Ladies and gentlemen, I don't approve of Canola Oil because there are no canolas.  Yes, I know--it is genetically modified rapeseed oil from Canada and perfectly healthy for us.  Not.  Why accept someone's excuse for having conjured it up?  Go for an alternative while you still can.  Number one, rapeseed oil causes blindness. It is or was a huge problem in Mexico as rapeseed or turnipseed oil was often sold as a substitute for sesame seed oil (Mexico's basic oil in the past, not olive oil or manteca as you may have thought.) People bought it thinking it was sesame seed oil (a wonderful oil) and then went blind because they got turnipseed oil instead.  Who could tell the difference? Now, the Powers That Be have genetically modified the oil so it won't cause blindness and put a label on it like Canola Oil and you get to buy it in the supermarket. NO NO NO. Do not use it.

That means, do not use PAM.  Spray oil is a wonderful invention.  But you have to go to a store that sells the Spectrum array of products and buy Grapeseed Oil in a spray can.  I think they also have spray olive oil. Maybe spreay sesame.  And they have spray Canola, but canola is canola is canola. Show me a canola, please. No no no.  I use Spectrum Spray Grapeseed Oil.  I hope and believe that it is healthy.  I am not coocoo about grapeseed oil as it has a distinctive feel and flavor (I recognized it immediately when I ate at Alice Waters'  restaurant in Berkeley.)  I use  safflower oil, a good plain oil;  sunflower oil less frequently;  peanut oil very good unless you are allergic;  wonderful olive oil; and butter, in my cookery.  I love butter.

I do not use corn oil any more as ALL U.S. YELLOW CORN is genetically modified.  I read that on the web and I believe it.  I try to avoid the genetically modified stuff. White corn is not genetically modified so far.  So we buy white corn tortillas. Say, I wonder if those Gonzalez-Northgate tortillas with nopal are of yellow corn??? I must check. So many things to keep track of.

I do not use soy oil as I have a deep mistrust of soy as a foodstuff though tofu is ok if you don't go off the deep end with it.  Tofu  is fermented, and Anne Louise Gittelman says that we girls should not eat unfermented soy.  No oil, and no edamames, girls. 

Now, do me a favor. Go into your kitchen, open up any oil you have, put a bit on your finger and taste....and put your nose down there and inhale.  LEARN to smell and taste oil that is past its prime.  It is a very distinctive smell and should never get to the taste part, actually.  Do the same with peanuts, peanut butter, in fact anything that contains oil.  It has oxidized, turned, and is stale and noxious. NOT GOOD FOR YOU.  I have thrown away many a nearly full bottle of oil as I could tell immediately that it had turned.

That is why I say that the best olive oil is the small  bottle of olive oil. It turns fast, my dears. I buy a store brand of olive oil in the 8 oz. size.  That way I never have it around long enough for it to turn.  And you can keep it in the refrigerator which retards spoilage of course.  Remember I have a very small family of two, only one of whom eats salad dressing.  You will do well with a pint if you feel a few people.

The Spectrum line of products mentioned above are, of course, more expensive than your supermarket line.  In fact, everything is getting very expensive right now but I won't dwell on that.  When we get down to when all we can afford is a plate of frijoles, a tomate and cebolla that we grew ourselves, and a dash of olive oil for our health, let us give thanks for our delicious food and praise the Lord.

Well, sew-it-up Saturday did not sew up very many items. I have seven on my list, left over from the whole week. Tomorrow there is no Borum at church, so perhaps I will tackle the rest of the dangling threads of this week. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment