Sunday, April 10, 2011

Drinking a Smoothie Even As We Speak

Good Morning!

Well, try as I would, I could not get a picture from my files to jump over to the blog. So, that lets us know that we are not perfect after all.

Funny thing happened this morning.  I wrote to my family that I'd had chicken enchiladas (Enchiladas Suizas) at the Jalisco Restaurant in Bonita last evening. As I opened emails, one was from son Alexander with a new Youtube music piece, "Chicken Tacos," and another was from sister no. 3 who said she'd made Chicken Tacos for supper last night.  So chicken was in the air.

The Jalisco Cafe or Restaurant is in Bonita, which is Chula Vista's version of La Jolla.  Or Rancho Santa Fe.  An enclave, it is horsy and well-to-do.  I chose the Jalisco last night because I told Theo that I wanted an American Mexican Restaurant...(as opposed to the ones that are strictly Mexico meaning all the food is slanted to Oaxacans)...Turned out it was not American that much, but anyway, it was pretty nice. 
HOWEVER.  And I always have a however.  Enchiladas Suizas in this case was a large fat stuffed corn tortilla, stuffed with shredded chicken.  Over the prepared enchilada goes a delicious green sauce made of tomatillos.  And on the side you get cheese or sour cream or hot sauce as an accompaniment.  However, you don't, in my opinion, just put in a lot of plain boiled chicken and call it at stuffing. That filling has to have plenty of flavor.  In the good old days when chickens were real, a plate of plain shredded chicken could have  a lot of flavor just on its own, what with the fat and skin that got into the somewhat flavorful meat (dark and light).  Now, they boil up a bunch of chicken breast fillets I think, and pull apart the results and that's it. For goodness' sake, cooks dear, at least put in some salt and pepper. Bo-ring.  I dumped the residue of the ubiquitous little bowl of "hot sauce" over it all but it still was not very tasty.  Wholesome, but dull. 

On the side of the plate there were beans (cheese on top) and rice (restaurant Mexican rice, which to me means that there was no comino within a country mile of it).  They were very edible.  I brought home one enchilada and most of the rice and beans in a box. Theo had a steak and a salad and we brought home most of his rice and beans and a tortilla in a box.  I will have all that for supper while he has his meat patty-with-cheese tonight.  I also had a slice of flan,which was not worth writing about.  Flan can be so good, so good.

The smoothie mentioned above in the subject line has now been consumed and I gave Theodore the other half.  Even he liked it. I got the idea for it on the Internet, as I read the confessions of some man who had lost 140 lbs in a year.  His lunch was a home-concocted smoothie made of odds and ends of veggies and fruits, all thrown in together and blended in the blender.  Here's what was in mine today:

2 green onions, the white part
2 leaves of ordinary lettuce
3 leaves of spinach
about 3 T. chopped tomato
about 3 T. chopped green pepper
2 large strawberries
2 large chunks of canteloupe
2 large grapes
1 large chunk of honeydew (those fruits are from one of those supermarket salads)
1/2 avocado
slice of lemon
4 oz. "tomato sauce" from a can
4 oz. water

It's necessary to have the liquid to make it blend properly.  Some conscientious blending gave me a smoothie of pleasant texture, appalling color, and delicious flavor. I added some salt as I am a salt-lover.  Taterton had his plain.  The man in the Internet article said, "I got all my day's vegetables at once."  True, folks.  That is a very healthy recipe up there, not to mention all the oranges, apples, celery, pecans, cabbage, broccoli, ad infinitum that you could put in there. YUMMY. Try it! 

Today at church, the Forum finished off with a flourish as the team presented their ideas of  the meaning of Atonement.  I can't say that I understand it, but I am now glad that we don't have to have that poor Goat in the picture.  The Parable of the Prodigal Son was presented as the perfect picture of how we are to understand God's love--beautifully spoken by the young preacher, an astounding revelation. (Although he pronounced the Prodigal Son and his brother both, "assholes", lol). Wow, I love being an Episcopalian and hearing it like it is.  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment