Monday, April 11, 2011

Why is the Married Estate so Vexing?

Good morning!!


 Before I launch into my pleito, (esp. for "plaint,") let me present, above, my son Benjamin and my husband Theodore.  I am still darting in and out of a huge cavernous photo file to get out things to present to you, so that is what I got for today!  Maybe later I will find more pictures to put on.

Now, let us assume one thing before we go on.  I am a nice person.  Cranky, yes, because I have an Asthmatic Personality. LOL. I am not too feisty and I am basically sweet.  But yesterday I got really mad. Really, really mad.

Some things in my life-view are sacrosanct. One of those things  is cooking, mealtime, and respect for the cook.  And appreciation, as a matter of course. Every day of his married life, my Southerner grandfather Temple rose from the table and thanked his wife for the meal.  He complimented her, and he thanked her for preparing it so well.  Now, I don't know that I'd have to have that after every meal and by no means that my own meals would have deserved it every time, but it's a standard, is it not?

Yesterday after I got home from church and wrote my blog, I decided to take it easy. I really dont like rising in the dark (though I have cheerfully done it for most of my life)==but now, things are different. Maybe age has made me less spry to spring out of bed.  Some Sundays, I wish I could turn over and go back to sleep instead of getting up and out in a chilly dawn and go to a chilly church and a chilly and drafty Great Hall for a few hours.  But I want to go, too. So I do.  But I thought, if we could not go for a long Sunday ride (something else I love), I just might undress and get back into bed for a few hours.  But, with one thing and another, after I drank the Smoothie of yesterday, I took the puzzle and lay down for awhile.  Guess it was about two and a half, maybe...and I drowsed, watched TV and worked on The Brain of Will Shortz One Week Late (that is when we get the NYT puzzle) for several hours...when I am lying stretched out on our bed, I can see the bathroom clock (of course I planned it that way; I am a clock freak like the kid in that psycho teen  movie)...and I worked and worked and snoozed and snoozed and got that puzzle nearly done...the clock seemed to be creeping past four...I thought I might get up and see if Theo were hungry but just kept working.

I forgot to mention that before I lay down, I got out the Sunbeam fryer that I use as a slow-cooker, and browned a couple of pieces of steak, added tomato, onion and green pepper and a ton of water, and put on the lid after setting it at the "r" of "simmer."  So I knew that dinner was "done," so to speak.  Only had to do a vegetable or two, which I had plenty of.

Well, Theo came in at one point, as I was racing for the post in the puzzle horse-race , and asked me, "Are you OK?" I said, yes, I was just working on the puzzle, and thought he was nice to be concerned about me. I hardly ever lie in for such a long time.  Finally I decided to abandon ship (mixing metaphors, here) and go to the kitchen, and when I went into the living room, he said, "I've already eaten!" Just imagine my vexation, dear reader. What he had eaten was a bunch of cheese, after his lunch of salami and cheese, oh so unhealthy, but what can I do? He was adamant.  Would not eat the dinner I was preparing, was not hungry.  I blew up. Turns out it was later than I thought (I'd misread the clock) and was now five fifteen, not four fifteen as I thought.  ANYWAY, what made me so mad was that he had come back not for solicitation of my wellbeing, but because he was wondering why I wan't fixing his dinner!!!  I pointed out to him that the dinner was all prepared in the pot, and why had he not noticed nor realized that, and all heck broke loose as he said that he hadn't noticed, had thought that I was not going to make dinner.  AND WHY COULD HE NOT HAVE MENTIONED THAT FACT WHEN HE CAME CREEPING BACK TO TAKE A LOOK AT ME?  Oh I was mad.  And he felt very sorry for himself. (But he deserved it.)

So, all was finally taken care of. I cooled off the dinner and put it away for tonight, and I micro'ed myself the leftovers of chicken enchilada for my dinner. And made him take me for a ride so I could buy myself a chocolate ice cream cone, single dip.  But he was still miffy and I was still puzzled. How is it that simple communication can be too hard?  "It's supper time and I'm hungry," would have been sufficient. "It's after five...," would have brought me up like a shot.  "Let's eat!" would have been understandable.  Why is the married estate so vexing? YAZZYBEL 

No comments:

Post a Comment