Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tuesday with Little to Say

Good morning! 

That title should be a relief after my long posts of the last few days.  But yesterday was  a busy day though nothing big happened with the exception of my husband's return in late morning with his TROPHY--his renewed driver's license!  That was a big thing for him and of course really for me, because things are really different around a household when only one person is able to drive.

Last night was the book club, and Theo dropped me there at seven thirty.  It was nice to see my old friends, and now I'm afraid I do mean my old friends.  Everyone was perfectly charming and sociable as usual, and we sank our teeth into some delicious candies and nuts as we waiting for the serious work to begin.  Lee N. did a wonderful job of laying out all the necessary info about a book that I can only describe as "difficult."  Some people apparently think that Michael Ondaatje is a wonderful writer, and perhaps he is. His main work is poetry and he should stick to that.  Turns out that his novel is deliberately spotty and sketchy, a "pastiche,"  a "collage," because he likes that style of tormenting the reader. (My interpretation , those last few words.)  Cats do the same with mice, and I will do with Mr. Ondaatje's work what I would do with the cat, were I a mouse--avoid it if possible. Theodore picked me up and brought me home and I got to sleep about eleven o'clock, late for me!! And him!!

Book for next time is The Old School by  Tobias Wolff.   I think I'll like it if it's not too clubby, and in any case  I shall read every word because this is getting embarrassing.  Belonging to a book club and not reading the books.  More than embarrassing, disgraceful.

I am sticking to the fast pretty well. Yesterday I had a breakfast of flakes, almonds, almond milk and sliced banana.  I really suffered when we went shopping because it seemed that every place in the world was frying chicken or fish, baking breads, and otherwise making wonderful and piquant odors of savory food.  Fasting makes one realize how much of one's eating is impulse-born.

 But I endured until dinner when I found that I could not eat all my salad, beans, and PB sandwich so I put the rest of the  veges and beans away till next day's soup. Ate three small cookies with glass of milk, and that was the end of supper though I had given myself an extension of dinner for the sake of the book club's eats. But I was good there, ate few snacks, drank water and a dab of wine, and a very very small piece of cake with a very small 2 spoonsful of vanilla ice cream.  And no coffee.  This morning,   I have had one scrambled egg and salsa on green corn-nopal tortilla, coffee, and orange juice.  So now, to endure today, on a few sips of leftover coffee until dinner time. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment